Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Unholy Three - My City Was Gone



Here's an overlooked gem (CD-only unfortunately) from late 90s Akron hardcore punks, The Unholy Three. Yes, before there was current Columbus $kum fuck$, The Unholy Two, these 4 NE OH dudes raged hard +1 (+2 too). That's a lot of band math, but these guys ruled it for a few years. After a great self-released 7", they teamed up with short-lived Akron label, Teenage Sex Vixens From Outer Space (also responsible for the excellent Ligod 7"), and long-time Kent label, Donut Friends (responsible for classic records from bands like Harriet the Spy and Party of Helicopters, among many others) to release this 16-song/22-minute tour de force.

Singer Larry Gargus had been in Akron HC band, Splinter (my first real "punk" show was seeing Splinter at the basement of a pizza joint in Kent [blanking on the name]; I missed Born Against by a few weeks apparently) and had published the zine, Crunchface. This was in the days of Victory Records-dominated hardcore, and straight edge was HUGE, as was the influence of horrible later NYHC, like Judge. Not my scene, AT ALL. I went to high school with the guitarist and bassist of The Unholy Three, brothers Clint and Chris. Later, after shaking off the burden of 90s big-pants-core, Clint became a pretty intense record collector, eventually assuming the responsibility of taking care of legendary Akron punk/new wave label, Clone Records' remaining stock. For quite a few years, you could buy originals of most of their catalog at face value, 5 bucks for a 7" etc, from Clint. I've also gotta credit Clint for turning me onto the pre-Cure Cult Hero shit ("I Want to Be Old"/"I Just Need Myself" etc) and the Beach Blvd. compilation, which is an all-time favorite. Finally, the drummer was some 18 year old kid from Canton (even more of a cultural wasteland than Akron at the time, and most likely still). This kid was a sick drummer, throwing in crazy fills all over the place, and solid as a rock.

I saw The Unholy Three play a few times, but not as many as I'd have liked, cuz I was living in Richmond VA and Columbus OH for most of their existence. I do remember them opening for Los Crudos at the Legion of Doom in Columbus and they held their own in that cramped, packed, stinky-ass basement (fuckin' crusties).

After UN3 broke up, they morphed into Don Austin with essentially the same line-up intact (minus the drummer + another guitarist). Don Austin has a bunch of quality 7" EPs that are even more nihilistic and bitter, channeling a serious Negative Approach vibe. You can probably find some of these without too much effort.



So here's The Unholy Three's only full-length, named after The Pretenders' song for some real reverse Akron pride.


The Unholy Three - My City Was Gone (1998)

http://www.mediafire.com/?x6cqhz5bsotfh

2 comments:

  1. Yeah- Thanks to weirdo Ohio-philes like you I'm finally digesting Pagans- "Everybody Hates You". Don't blame me- I'm from the east coast, I had no idea, and still have never even been to the Cleave. This shit is life changing. Keep it up. -Jackie-O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. It's never too late to digest some of the finest punk rock ever made, and 'Everybody Hates You' is good start. After that, it might be time to take a dip in the pool filled with Electric Eels.

    ReplyDelete